Mittens for Giants

Sometimes I get carried away.  It’s been like that with knitting lately.  I’ve made some things that I think are quite beautiful, like this beret-style hat.  I knit it from Panache, the discontinued KnitPicks yarn with a touch of merino, cashmere, alpaca and silk.  It’s lofty and soft, knits easily, and makes me quite glad that I ordered an inexpensive (everything at KnitPicks is inexpensive) bag of this beautiful chocolate colour before they killed it.   It has a 1.5 inch ribbed band underneath and looks adorable on my permanent model, my daughter, but you have to take my word for it because she refuses to be photographed right now.  Along with the hat, I’ve got a scarf on the needles in the same yarn.    It’s a very simple, two row rib pattern.  Neither of these photos shows the deep chocolate color of this yarn, but that’s what I get for giving you last-minute photos taken in bedroom light on top of my laptop. 

 

Okay, so I got carried away, and I still haven’t showed you why.  I never made mittens before, and today I got the urge.  I found a free pattern on line and for some reason I decided to knit them from a worsted wool, doubled, on fairly large needles.  By the time I blocked the mitten, it was built for a giant.  It is blocking in my bathroom, hanging on an Oust can:    You can see how large it is, compared to the Febreze bottle in the background.  And the shape is reminiscent of…something.  I decided not to make a second one like this.  This one may become an oven mitt. 

After this maiden voyage into mitten-knitting, I thought I’d learned enough to make a better pair.  This time I used my own pattern (the one in my head), and made them to fit a child.  I’m pretty pleased.   

Sadly, I have no idea where that yarn came from.  Last year I hired a part-time assistant, and one of her duties was to take some of my hanks and turn them into balls.  She became very speedy with the ball winder and swift, and the project was proceeding beautifully until we realized that we hadn’t worked out a system for keeping the labels with the yarn.  Some of the yarns were easily recognizable, others I could look up on Yarndex.  This one was unidentified.  It is a worsted weight wool, scratchy feeling before blocking, but blooming nicely and filling out and softening after a nice swish in soapy water.  It lost a little dye, but not a significant amount. 

 

I now know the date that I’m aiming for with the trunk show.  I only have two more months to prepare, but that feels like plenty of time.  The stack of show-appropriate items is growing steadily.  Sometimes I compare this to the preparation for a recital, a common (at least yearly) occurrence during all the years of piano study.  I feel like I’m at the point where I’ve got the piece memorized, but have to work on expression and on perfecting the harder passages.  I want the items that I take to the show to exhibit my best. 

 

Perhaps I should spend time discussing my design philosophies and goals, but this isn’t the day.  You real designers out there will have to wait for your laugh. 

 

And as for the lupus, well, I still have it. 

 

Peace.

Advertisements

One Response

  1. I love the beret! I’ve decided I want a beret for this winter. I’ve cast on at least 3 times now and each time it hasn’t been right but I will keep trying!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: