Kicking B-cell Butt!

I did it!  I did it!  I did it!  The big, goofy smile is still on my face!  I spent six hours in a cancer treatment infusion center today-because oncologists are the guys who are set up to give this medicine, even though the recipients are partially rheumatology patients like me.  It was a nice facility, connected to a hospital, well-equipped and comfortably furnished.  I had my own super-padded recliner and table and infusion pump on a handy rolling pole (the good kind that doesn’t tip over when you try to walk and push it around).  There was ample seating for patients and their significant others, a snack area, convenient bathrooms, and friendly nurses. 

The only thing lacking was a sense of patient impowerment.  The attitude that I got over the phone, that things were casually moved along without forewarning for patients, persisted through the day.  There didn’t seem to be a definite time for anything, and no one made an attempt to orient or enlighten me.  After being signed in and going through the usual new patient routine (giving up my insurance cards, handing over a sheaf of medical information, getting weighed and measured) they led me to the treatment area and abandoned me.  I tried out several recliners, settled on one and took out my knitting.  I worked on it for a while, then worked on it some more.  I was close enough to the glassed-in nursing area to hear them say they were waiting on a response from my insurance company to get started.  I waited some more.  After an hour of too much thinking, I started to blubber.  I found another recliner in a more secluded corner and looked out the window and wiped tears.  Eventually the nurse approached with another patient, an elderly woman and her daughter.  I sniffed up the tears and put my tissues away.  Pretty soon a nurse came and drew blood and started my IV. 

Alright!  The show was on the road…NOT!  This was just the premedication with Benadryl.  Slow, slow, slow IV drip…getting sleepier and stupider by the minute…until time to see the doctor.  Walk back to the exam room feeling like i’m walking in Karo Syrup.  I was stiff when I came, now I’m stiff and mushy.  We talk a few minutes, catching up, ”Essie, I knew it was you, Essie, and you cannot work any more?” and plan out some testing and further treatments.  I’m to take this again in two weeks, then repeat in six months.  Discussion of demyelinating disease (kind of like multiple sclerosis) occuring in a few treated lupus patients.  Mushy brain zhoooms past that.  Back to my recliner.

Most of the recliners have filled up in the partitioned room.  Chemotherapy seems to be a popular thing to do on the day after Christmas.  The people are all being nice.  Perhaps they are in the bargaining phase:  “Cure my cancer, God, I’ll be good!”  Some talk a lot, some brought things to do like books and puzzles.  Only one little partitioned group watches TV.  In the background I hear their CNN Headlines, reviewing the tiger maulings in San Francisco and the little found girl from the airplane crash in Panama again and again.   There is lots of cancer talk.  My pod mates and I prefer to discuss construction and home building and the lukewarm coffee, although once we are a bit acquainted, the man closest to me admits that he has cancer in the lining of his lung and his bones.  He is afraid after having reactions to the first two chemotherapy meds they tried.  He doesn’t know the names of them, or what he is getting now.  He hears that the Canadians have a cure for this.  I enjoy our conversation.  To think that I considered moving when he came because he smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke, bless his heart.

Finally my medication is started at a slow drip.  They set a timer and increase the speed of the drip every 30 minutes.  Intermittently playing with my mohair, I watch the drip chamber as if with a stern glance I could will it to drip faster.  I take frequent mental inventories of my body to see if I am dying.  More inventories to see if I can detect the B cells throwing down their auto-antibodies and heading for the hills.  For a while nothing happens.  Two trips to the bathroom, a pack of peanutbutter crackers, a cup of coffee and 4 inches of mohair later, my lips and scalp start to itch.  I request more Benadryl, no problem, two lovely pink capsules.  The itching goes away. 

At the end, my medication infused, the nurse removed my IV and said “Good-bye.”  I went out to the billing person and turned over a credit card to pay the sizeable 20% that my insurance doesn’t cover.  No Wii for me.  No Wii for Essie.  Now that’s when I should have cried!  And no surprise:  I had to go back and ask for the appointment for two weeks from now, because evidently that hasn’t been communicated to the nurses or they haven’t passed it on to me.  Oh well.  I’ll know what to expect next time.  The B-cell battle is the important thing.

I did it! 



4 Responses

  1. DEATH TO THE B CELLS ! I will share my wii, its more fun that way!

  2. Those nurses and staff have so many folk to deal with! I wonder if they remember people from week to week. All sounds so dead! Perhaps, this procedure will work. Just praying for YOU!

    Your sister, myra

  3. May your B-cells decide it’s time to find a different occupation (other than autoantibody producer)! 🙂

  4. I am putting the betterment of your health on my ten most wanted list..take care and thank you for the wonderful comment you left on my blog…sure means a lot to me….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: